These yummy little raw cacao balls are the perfect healthy snack. Make a batch at the weekend and have them whilst you’re on the go in the week. Full of goodness, packed with slow releasing energy and they taste delicious. i'll be making some to take in my hospital bag with me to help me through labour.
I made these a while back for the Yoga Breakfast Club and they went down a storm. There are a few recipes out there for these type of balls, In the past i’ve used Deliciously Ella and Madeline Shaw, but basically you can make these with whatever you have in the cupboards. Sometimes i’ll make cinnamon, sometimes i’ll add orange zest. The ones below are almond and coconut.
Recipe – Makes aproximatley 13 odd sized balls
- 8 Dates – any kind as long as they’re big and pitted
- 1/2 cup of ground nut – (i used almonds for these, but cashews and brazil nuts taste great too, and if you have a food processor you can ground yourself)
- 1/2 cup of desiccated coconut
- 2 table spoons of raw almond butter
- 2 teaspoons Coconut oil (rub a bit on your skin at the same time)
- 1 big heaped tablespoon of raw cacao powder (add more if you want them extra chocolatey)
optional extras: (you could also play around with these flavours, don’t add them all together though, that probably wouldnt taste good)
- 1 teaspoon of Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of ginger
- vanilla pod
- Chia seeds
- Orange peel
- whatever you have in the cupboard.
- Stick it all in a food processor (or if you’re like me and dont have one, stick it in a smoothie maker)
- Blitz until its all mixed together and sticky
- If its too dry add a tablespoon of water
- Add some desaccated coconut to a dish (about a table spoon)
- Make your sticky mixure into small balls with your hands
- Stick the balls in the dish with the coconut and shake a little bit to cover them
- pop in the fridge for an hour
- Volia they’re ready to eat
Hope you enjoy them as much as i do.